You or your spouse may have decided to initiate divorce and now you are getting ready to meet with your divorce attorney. It can be a daunting process and it certainly can be stressful. Below are a few tips to keep in mind when meeting with your divorce attorney for the first time.
- Has a case already been filed? If so, bring any pleadings that you have been served with or that you have filed.
- Identify all assets/debts that need to be divided. You do not have to write it all down, but it is helpful for the attorney to know what assets and debts need to be accounted for. This list includes houses, cars, land, credit cards, bank accounts, retirement/pensions, student loans, tax penalties, and any other type of loan or debt.
- Do you have children? If so, custody and timesharing will be addressed. It is good to start thinking about the timesharing arrangement for your children.
- Be patient. This process can take a while, but with your assistance, the attorney will work diligently to keep the case moving forward.
- Try not to stress! Divorce is stressful. Your whole life is changing. An attorney will help you navigate the court system and work towards an agreeable outcome.
If you are needing advice or representation in your divorce case, contact a divorce attorney or call Pregenzer, Baysinger, Wideman & Sale, PC to meet with one of our divorce attorneys.